The homemade almond butter between layers of soft dough makes this sweet yeast bread absolutely irresistible and perfect for breakfast or brunch. It is so easy to make and versatile-feel free to use any nut butter, chocolate spread or pesto for a savoury version.
- Combine spelt bread flour, wholemeal emmer flour and coconut sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Make a well in the center.
- Heat the coconut drink until warm and add in coconut oil. Stir until melted and combined. Dissolve the fresh yeast in the coconut drink.
- Add yeast mixture and eggs, reserving 1 tablespoon to brush, to the well of the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed and knead until elastic and soft, about 7 minutes. Put the kneaded dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic film or a clean tea towel and let rise until doubled in size, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 8 portions and shape each into a ball. Roll each dough out to a 15-cm disc. Spread 40 grams of nut butter over the dough, leaving a 1-cm border. Roll up and press edge to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut roll in half lengthwise. With the cut sides facing up, press together one end of each half, one over the other, and continue until you have ‘braided’ the entire roll.
- Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls. Cover with a tea towel and let rise a second time for approximately about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 190C/375F. Brush the Bake the braided bread in the hot oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the tray halfway through cooking time, if needed, to ensure even baking.